Northwest
Austur Húnavatnssýsla (East part of Húnavatnssýslur)
The district is by the eastern side of Húnaflói bay and reaches from the river Gljúfurá in the west, to the middle of the Skagi peninsula in the east and to the glacier Hofsjökull in the south.
Highway No. 1 lies through the district. The road across Kjölur is open for all cars in summer and goes across the interior from the valley Blöndudalur to the south of Iceland.
When driving around Skagi one passes the cliff Króksbjarg, which is made of hexagonal basalt and is very rich in bird life. Further to the north there is Kálfshamarsvík, characterized by spectacular hexagonal basalt.
Lowland stretches inland from the sea. A few valleys take over further to the south. The biggest ones are Vatnsdalur, furthest to the west, then Svínadalur, Langidalur, and Blöndudalur to the south. South of these valleys there are extensive moors with many good fishing lakes. The district also boasts renowned salmon and trout rivers like Vatnsdalsá, Laxá á Ásum, Blanda and Svartá.
Iceland - Northwest - Borgarvirki
Borgarvirki
Iceland - Northwest - Hvitserkur
Hvitserkur
Iceland - Northwest - Hindisvik
Hindisvik
Iceland - Northwest - Thingeyrar
Thingeyrar
Iceland - Northwest - Vatnsdalur
Vatnsdalur
Iceland - Northwest - Blonduos
Blonduos
Hot springs can be found at Reykir, and Hveravellir. The river Blanda has been harnessed with a 54 km2 reservoir in the moors. The machinery for the hydroelectric power plant is housed 300m below the surface of the earth.
There are two towns in the district: Skagaströnd, a fishing village at the eastern side of the bay, lately better known for country music, and Blönduós at the estuary of the Blanda river, a center of commerce and services.
There are many historic sites in the district. Þingeyrar, where the first monastery in Iceland was established in 1133, offers a magnificent view of the area and a beautiful church built of stone, which houses many historic pieces of art. The deserted farm Þórhallastaðir in Vatnsdalur is best known for the legendary Grettir´s wrestling match with the ghost Glámur. In 1830, the last execution in Iceland took place in Vatnsdalshólar. By Highway No.1 by the stone Gullsteinn there is a memorial of Þorvaldur the widely travelled, the first Icelandic Christian missionary.
Iceland - Northwest - Blonduos - Tofaera
Blonduos - Torfaera
  Iceland - Northwest - Blondustod
Blondustod
     
Húnaþing vestra (West part of Húnavatnssýslur)
Western-Húnavatnssýsla is at the west side of the Húnaflói bay reaching from the river Hrútafjarðará in the west, to the river Gljúfurá in the east. It stretches to Arnarvatnsheiði moor and Tvídægra in the south. The district is grassy and well fit for farming. Hot spring water is widely utilized.
The district is divided into five main areas: Hrútafjörður, Miðfjörður, Vatnsnes and Víðidalur. The town Hvammstangi serves as the center of commerce and services. The beauty of the district is among other things conveyed in beautiful farms, three major salmon rivers, the shores of the Vatnsnes peninsula, big lakes, ravines and pillar rocks.
There are a number of historic sites in the district. Bjarg in Miðfjörður was the birthplace and shelter of legendary outlaw Grettir Ásmundarson. A spectacular monument with basreliefs demonstrating events from Grettissaga was erected at Bjarg. Most Icelanders know the tragic story of the double murder at Illugastaðir which led to the last execution in Iceland in 1830.
There are many places of interest in Western-Húnavatnssýsla. Hveraborgir in the river Síká in Hrútafjörður is an ideal resting place for hikers with its natural hot spring for bathing.
     
Seals can be spotted in many places in Vatnsnes. Hvítserkur is a 15 m tall rock formation standing in the sea under the steep cliffs of Ósar resembling a prehistoric monster hosting a multitude of seabirds.
The 15 m tall Borgarvirki citadel divides Vesturhóp from the valley Víðidalur, reaches up to 177 m above sea level. In Borgarvirki there is an easily accessible view dial. Borgarvirki is thought to have used as a fort in disputes between the locals and hostile invaders. The ravine Kolugljúfur in the river Víðidalsá is spectacular, hosting two waterfalls.The gorge Gálgagil (Gallows gorge) above the farm Jöfri is an ancient execution site still alive in many ghostly tales.
In Hvammstangi there is a handicraft gallery with work by local artists. The old church Kirkjuhvammskirkja, located close to the camping site, was built in 1882 and abolished in 1957 when the new church was consecrated. Kirkjuhvammskirkja was restored in 1997.

Skagafjörður
Skagafjörður, sometimes referred to as the Mecca of horsemanship in Iceland, is a wide valley reaching as far south as the glacier Hofsjökull. When overlooking Skagafjörður from Vatnsskarð it welcomes its visitors displaying its beauty. To the south the glacial rivers Austari- Jökulsá and Vestari-Jökulsá have carved down magnificent gorges. To the east, the mountain range proudly exposes its tallest part Grasárdalshnjúkur (1268 m).
The islands Málmey and Drangey are found just off the coast. The main towns and villages in Skagafjörður are Varmahlíð, Sauðárkrókur and Hofsós.
Skagafjörður has much historical significance. Parts of The Sturlungasaga took place in Skagafjörður, events that ultimately led to the dissolution of the Commonwealth in 1264. The manor farm of the Ásbirningar family was at Víðimyri, where one of the most beautiful churches in Iceland dating back to 1834 exists. On the eastern side of Skagafjörður are some of the main historic sites of The Sturlungasaga. Hólar in Hjaltadalur, a Bishopric in 1106 -1798, is not to be missed.
The Glaumbær Museum is housed in a turf farmhouse dating from 1750-1879. In the northeast part of the Hegranes peninsula there is the ancient assembly for the North of Iceland.

Source: www.northwest.is